About the Library
The Coronado Library was founded in 1890 by the Coronado Library and Free Reading Room Association. It was supported for many years by gifts and fund raising. In 1895 the Hotel del Coronado provided a rent-free small pavilion building for use for the "Coronado Beach Library", which was located by the trolley stop across the street from the hotel. John D. Spreckels, then owner of the Hotel del Coronado, was later asked by the Coronado Library Trustees to build a permanent library building. Mr. Spreckels agreed and had architect Harrison Albright design and build a classical revival library building on the
in 1909. West Plaza Park
The park and the library building were given by John Spreckels to the City of
Coronado and the people of . The building stills stands at Coronado 640 Orange Avenue. This original building serves as the Spreckels Reading Room in a 40,000 square feet newly remodeled and expanded library building.